If you live or work within the York area you are entitled to have a York Card, which gives you access to residents’ discounts at leisure facilities across York.
York Card discounts give you a potential saving of at least £50 over the year.
The following attractions currently offer a discount to York Card holders (information correct on 20 October 2020)
1. Barley Hall – 20% off entry fee
2. Can You Escape York? – 20% off for York card holders. When booking online or over the phone please quote XYORK20 and bring your card with you to your game.
3. City Cruises York – Save up to £3 per person on daytime sightseeing with City Cruises York
4. DiG – 20% off entry fee
5. Explore Libraries and Archives – Discounted entry to author events and talks
6. Fairfax House – 20% off normal ticket rate
7. Henry VII Experience – 20% off entry fee
8. Jorvik Viking Centre – 20% off entry fee
9. Merchant Adventurers Hall – 50% off entry fee
10. Mountain Goat Tours – 20% discount off tours (including friends and family of York Card holders). To receive the discount just add the code York Card20 to the discount code section when booking.
11. Richard III Experience – 20% off entry fee.
12. Roman Bath Museum – 50% off entry fee.
13. York Army Museum – 50% discount on admission prices.
14. York Chocolate Story – 1/3 off entry fee on Sundays.
15. York Mansion House – 50% discount on admission prices.
16. York Minster – Free entry to Minster (excludes tower).
17. York Museums Trust (the Yorkshire Museum & Gardens, York Art Gallery & York Castle Museum) – 20% off a day ticket at any site and 40% off an annual pass.
18. York Sport – 20% off selected sports activities.
19. York Visitor Information Centre – 10% off merchandise.
The York Card is £6 for adult residents or £10 for people who work in York, but are not resident in the city. The York Card is free to children and young people up to the age of 18.
The York card is free if you are in receipt of any of the following means tested benefits: Universal Credit (without earnings), Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit (Guarantee credit), Carers Allowance, Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit, Widowed Parents Allowance. The York Card is also free if you are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance. You will need to show library staff your awarding letter from DWP or CYC in person at one of our Explore York libraries.
You can buy a digital York Card through this site, at any attraction or at any Explore library or Reading Cafe. If you prefer to have a physical card instead of a digital, you’ll need to call into any Explore library.
A digital card and physical card work in exactly the same way. If you need to pay for your card you can use a credit card at the large Explore Centres, but it’s cash only at the smaller libraries. Please be aware that we can’t post physical York Cards out to you.
If you require a £10 ‘Work in York’ card you will need to go to any Explore library to purchase. Please bring proof of your employer, for example, a pay slip or a lanyard, with you.
You can find contact details and addresses for all Explore libraries here.
No – York Cards and Library Cards are now separate. To get a Library Card you can pop into any Explore York Library or apply online.
A York Card will expire 12 months from the month in which you purchase it.
No. You can buy one for anyone who lives in your household such as partner or children, but not for someone from another address.
You must show your York Card to obtain the discounted rates – one discount per card presented.